July 15th, 2008
So close to being temporarily finished, I can temporarily taste it.
THIS PATCH IS NOT MEANT TO WORK WITH ANYTHING BEYOND ACT 3, AND IN FACT DOES NOT.
Check http://bmw.seiha.org for current patch updates covering Act 4.
Just drop all the files into the Battle Moon Wars directory and run the graphical patch. Voila! Or if you’ve already installed any previous English patch from me, you just need the other files. It’s still slow/memory intensive, so give it a minute or two. Especially once it tries to load data8 (400mb) into memory, it’ll probably look like it stalled out for a moment. Also be aware that I’ll be updating it as people find typos/poor wording in the last few stages (just released this morning), so if it’s not a 24.5 mb file, that means you tried to grab it in the middle of an update.
Thrill at a Magical Girl Showdown of epic proportions!
Chill at the creepy Takumi x Ilya x Berserker love triangle!
Gawk at Sakura dressed in nothing but a curtain!
What is Left Undone:
- Translation Checking. Still looking for someone to do that, sadly enough, but I’m mostly confident in it. Except for annoying Zouken’s anitiquated old-man speak.
- The exe needs to be rehacked. Werk released a new patch which fixed a memory leak and a BGM bug, but until recently, I couldn’t find anybody to work on that. Now I’ve got someone again so hopefully that’ll be fixed sooner or later. It’s a technical issue though, not a translation issue.
Things That Could Be Made Better:
- Battle quotes could use some polishing. They were the very first things I did before I had settled into the style I’d use and I haven’t really touched or looked at them in at least a month or two.
- Scattered typos/minor editing. Mostly in the last few stages which have been out the shortest amount of time (ie, since this morning.) But I opened up stage 20 looking for something and found a missing space so… I’m not willing to call the script finalized yet, regardless of translation checking. It’s pretty much there though.
- Werk lies to the player or makes incomprehensible design decisions a few times. For example, it says that Kaleido Ruby is unlocked and gives instructions on how to use her, then doesn’t allow you to use her for the next stage (only applicable for Takumi’s path). I’d like to correct and enhance dumb things like that, but at that point, it’s not the same as the original, so I’ll release that as a seperate set of thingies in probably a few days to a week depending on how much I feel like adding/changing. Very little will be actual gameplay related (the Kaleido Ruby ‘bug’ is the only thing I can think of that is), so *shrug*.
If you’d like to help or report typos, or harangue other people about how Ciel is totally the least appreciated character, swing by the miniforums I’ve set up. They’re also where I’ll be posting minor changes and whatnot, though I will make a real post here when I finish putting together what sort of passed for my devkit as I worked on this in case I’m killed by Werk or something.
Battle Moon Wars Act 4 is due out at some point in the relatively near future. About two weeks ago, Werk made a blog post saying they were about 85% done. They’ll be selling an ‘early version’ at Comiket. Whether that’s a demo or a massively bug laden and unfinished version, I have no idea. If you manage to make it there, ¥500 (just under $5) for a copy of it is a steal at twice the price.
I’ll keep tweaking what’s here and probably try to blitz through the demo that they’ll undoubtedly release, but I’m glad this long and relatively lonely journey has finally reached its temporary end. Sure, I got sidetracked by real life for a month or so, but it all more or less came together in the end. Who says you can’t be a one man translation team? Not me!
Special thanks do go to the people mentioned previously, and to Selkirk, TakaJun, Hinatanko and AlphaUltima for letting me bounce random lines that confused me off of them and DominicanZero gets special mention for catching a boatload of typos that the rest of you slackers did not and for doing the config.exe hacking (and he promises to do the bmw.exe hacking too).
Now, I think I need a nap. Or maybe eight. Wake me up when Comiket’s here.